Friday, June 20, 2008

We made it!


Now, anyone that knows me knows that I can fall asleep anywhere. I struggled to fall asleep during most of our 14 hours in the air. From Portland to Phili then to Espana, I prayed for narcolepcy. Rachel made fleece sleeping bags for us with zippers in the bottom so we could unzip and run to the bathroom if necessary, genius.

Once in Spain we hopped on the Metro and made our way into town. Sleeping and hungry we wondered around looking for comeda and discovered a promising restaurant who hailed their food as an organic and healthy option. After a long (really long) look at the display case we ordered what looked to be an old Spanish specialty, turkey and mashed potatoes. What we discovered was that this healthy entree had to be microwaved on high for a minute before consuming. To top it off, just about that time "Mr Sand Man" came over the radio. And I thought to myself, why travel when all the comforts of home can be found the world over? But anyway our first Spanish meal was equivalent to Thanksgiving TV dinner. We may as well have packed cans of Man-which, which is truly a dream.

In other news Rachel fell, kinda hard actually. We were descending the staircase of our hostel (hostel Lenin), which has a lift but its the size of a coat closet and we can't seem to figure out which floor is which. Anyway, Rachel fell on her rear end down the cold marble steps. Her elbow hurt initially but she was no worse for the wear. Upon further examination we discovered that she had torn a hole in her underwear during her daring marble luge. The fall was mildly terrifying and a bit humorous.

We're having a great time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wahoo. I am glad you made it safe. You have our prayers.
I will be interested to hear if sheep are as clueless as they have been described.

Bethany Bylsma said...

a hole in your undies is better than a bull horn up your you know what. :-)
things sound amazing.
WAHHHH.
i want....i need you...
lovies!

Meaghan said...

You are there!!! I'm so happy that you have this opportunity to do amazing things... except I am missing you terribly. Come home to me soon so we can hug and be friends forever.

loves!

p.s. I'm not having any fun without you two...

Deannalene said...

Hey, you left too quick. I wanted to see you before you took off! I know you are going to have a GREAT time there.
OK.... you have to promise that you will come back to Newberg.

Spain has been known for growing GIANT Pumpkins. Perfect climate for those monsters.

Come home with tales to tell, DeAnn

the WAsian invasion said...

if you end up castrating male lambs, we will have even more things in common that we can talk about. maybe over a meal of something like melon balls.