Saturday, July 5, 2008

Meep, meep.





After our harrowing night ride we decided that we would need another way to see the island. In town we rented a scooter. A small one that tops out at 35 mph (50cc), which, my mom pointed out was as fast as Kevin Gereld was going when he broke his pelvis (Thanks mom). The guy who rented us the scooter must have been a little concerned as we drove away. I’ve never been good at driving 2 wheeled motorized vehicles. For one thing, I forgot that you need give it a certain amount of gas in order for it to drive straight and it´s more than you think. Attempting to be cautious, I upped the accelerator slowly only to nearly dump the scooter in the middle of the road with Rach on the back. But rather than dump it, we ended up swerving left then right as we waved back at the guy.

We had a lot of fun on the scooter (Meep). He has allowed us to go all sorts of places. Also, there is a certain amount of humility Meep has allowed for us to experience. Namely, frequently being passed and going up hills at around 15 mph. But there is something irreplaceable about seeing the island more slowly then in a car and you can park Meep just about anywhere. But you can’t drive anywhere come to find out.

On a day trip to an inner island city we ended up on a freeway. I say ended, because we’ve had several incidences where we’ve circumnavigated a roundabout, taken the correct offshoot, but ended on some road we didn’t expect. Anyway, we’re on this freeway for sometime, on the shoulder, cars flying past us when up ahead I see the Gaurdia Civil (the Fuzz) pull over and get out of their patrol car. Now there are certain cultural subtlties that I wont ever be able to pick up, but when this cop held his hand out to me, I was pretty sure he didn’t want a high five. I was also sure that I didn’t want to be Mallorca’s first slow speed chase victim so I came to a stop. They we all business and told us to take the next exit because our bike was too pequeno, Meeps feeling were hurt. We did as we were told but not before yelling as we “sped” off, “You’ll never take us alive Gaurdia Civil!”

Trying to load pics but not working.

No comments: