Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ostitos de oro- kids and grown-ups love 'em so




Let's face it Haribo makes the world's finest gummy candy. Right out of the easy to open pouch these tiny bears of gold are delicious. Just a tad stale like Mike & Ike's left out for a few days but have all the flavors I like and none I despise. (apple, raspberry, pineapple, lemon) I consider myself a gummy expert or sorts. I'll consume just about any fruit or animal shape if it's been molded in some factory out of gelationous goodness. I'll even eat the gummy's distant cousin the chicken nugget from time to time. The only gummy I shy away from the in the peach. I'll eat but I won't enjoy it, I have to draw the line somewhere.

Haribo's main head quarters is located in Girona Spain, about an hour (by train) inland from Barcelona. We had an opportunity to go but chose to visit the much heralded Tarragonia. Located on the coast, Tarragonia was named a World Heritage site in 2005 and is frequently named one of the best places to live in Europe. The town is full of great museums dedicated to the uniquely preserved Roman ruins and battles that have taken place as recently as the Napoleonic wars. Why wouldn't we go on our final Monday in Spain. So we bought our tickets, rode the hour long train and determined when the last train would leave cause we were going to paint the town. Well turns out that everything, I mean everything is closed on Mondays. Except for a bazar type store called Da Da Wang Wang and a few pastry shops. Many places are open on Saturday in Spain. In return they close on Monday adhering almost universally to a 2 day weekend, 3 if they can wing it. Not one museum, not one shopping store, not one of the "Heritage sites" were accessible except through a fence. There are few things in Spain followed more religiously then the Catholic Church and one of those things is the siesta.
So we bought a pouch of tiny golden bears and were back in Barcelona by early evening.

No comments: