Saturday, July 19, 2008

The message of the farmer

Being on the farm has been great. Making the transition from super busy Barcelona to the quiet isolation of the vegetable garden was initially tough. We are in full farm mode now and spend our morning doing whatever Tolo asks of us. Our tasks on the farm have not been big or exciting but they have been necessary to the on going life of those who reside here, humans and animals. When we decided to WWOOF we were looking for an experience that would deepen our understanding of the Gospel and connect us to the simple message of the farmer, not always being the one who harvests but one who is willing to protect and water the plant. Not always planting the seeds but being willing to blow leaves off the driveway from time to time. I’ve been reading Thomas Merton lately and have been challenged but his definition of the will of God.

“The requirements of a work can be understood as the will of God. If I am supposed to hoe a garden or make a table, then I will be obeying God if I am true to the task I am performing. To do it carefully and well, with love and respect for the nature of my task… is to unite myself to God’s will in my work.”

Merton's definition of God's will is not glamorous, fun, or blog-worthy. That, by in large is what we have encountered on the farm. Tasks lacking to finality and wonder but filled with a simple yet clear message, because they are necessary and because they are God's will.

The on going challenge for me has been what do I do when I am weary, when the instructions aren’t clear, or when I am ready for the next task and am just waiting around. These are certainly scenarios that occur daily on the farm. As for being weary, you can add blisters, sore muscles, and dehydration. All of these have often made it difficult to be true to the task I am performing. My physical needs are the voice most clearly heard and most frequently responded to.

The other day I spread compost on the garden while Rachel cleaned out the horse stall. We are not likely to plant or harvest olives but whether cleaning the poop or spreading it, we’ve been willing to do what is required on the farm. For now the message of the farmer is a story of one who is willing to toil in a range of tasks. Not merely the beginning or the ending, but the farmer is willing to begin tasks with uncertain ends or finish ones from uncertain origins. This is by no means, a lesson learned. In fact I almost didn't make this post because its certainly something I haven't wrapped my mind around nor do I fully grasp the ramifications.

No comments: